Seasonal and interannual variations in the [OI] 630 nm atmospheric emission are studied from observations of airglow in Eastern Siberia. Among features of seasonal variation in this emission are a pronounced summer maximum, an autumn minimum, and a strong interannual variability in winter months, as well as an increase in the correlation coefficient with a monthly mean value of the F10.7 solar activity index in periods close to equinoxes. We identify possible causes and phenomena (including solar activity) that form the seasonal and interannual variations in the 630 nm atmospheric emission. In this study, we have used observational data from the Geophysical Observatory of the Institute of Solar-Terrestrial Physics of Siberian Branch of Russian Academy of Sciences (ISTP SB RAS, 52° N, 103° E) for 2011–2017.
airglow, 630 nm emission, seasonal and interannual variations, solar activity
1. Adachi T., Otsuka Y., Yamaoka M., Yamamoto M., Shiokawa K., Chen A.B., Hsu R.R. First satellite-imaging observation of medium-scale traveling ionospheric disturbances by FORMOSAT-2/ISUAL. Geophys. Res. Lett. 2011, vol. 38, L04101. DOI: 10.1029/2010GL046268.
2. Barbier D. Variations de l’intensite des principales radiations de la luminescence atmospherique nocturne avec le cycle solaire. [Intensity variations of the mean radiation of the night airglow of atmospheric emission in the solar cycle]. Ann. Geo-phys. 1965, vol. 21, pp. 265–274. (In French).
3. Bates D.R. Forbidden oxygen and nitrogen lines in the nightglow. Planet. Space Sci. 1978, vol. 26, no. 10, pp. 897–912.
4. Fishkova L.M. Nighttime airglow of the mid-latitude Earth upper atmosphere. Tbilisi, Metsniereba Publ., 1983, 271 p. (In Russian).
5. Fishkova L.M., Martsvaladze N.M., Shefov N.N. Seasonal variations in the 557.7 nm atomic oxygen emission dependence on solar activity and long-term trend. Geomagnetizm i aeronomiya [Geomagnetism and Aeronomy]. 2001, vol. 41, no. 4. pp. 557–562. (In Russian).
6. Fukuyama K. Airglow variations and dynamics in the lower thermosphere and upper mesosphere II. Seasonal and long-term variations. J. Atmos. Terr. Phys. 1977, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 1–14.
7. Givishvili G.V., Leshchenko L.N., Lysenko E.V., Perov S.P., Semenova A.I., Sergeyenko N.P., Fishkova L.M., Shefov N.N. Long-term trends of some characteristics of the Earth atmosphere. Measurement results. Izvestiya RAN. Fizika atmosfery i okeana [Izvestiya. Atmospheric and Oceanic Physics]. 1996, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 329–339. (In Russian).
8. Korobeinikova M.L, Nasyrov G.A. Structural features of the λ 6300 Å emission. Geofizichesky Byulleten’ [Geophysical Bulletin]. Moscow, Nauka Publ., 1974, no. 27, pp. 35–39. (In Russian).
9. Lord Rayleigh, Jones S.H. The light of the night sky: analysis of the intensity variations at three stations. Proc. Roy. Soc. 1935, vol. 151, no. A872, pp. 22–55.
10. Mikhalev A.V. Features of the [OI] 557.7 nm atmospheric emission variation. Optika atmosfery i okeana [Atmospheric and Oceanic Optics]. 2017, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 296–300. (In Russian).
11. Mikhalev A.V., Beletsky A.B., Kostyleva N.V., Chernigovskaya M.A. Midlatitude airglow at the south of East Siberia during strong geomagnetic storms on October 29–31 and November 20–21, 2003. Kosmicheskie issledovaniya [Cosmic Res.]. 2004, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 616–621. (In Russian).
12. Mikhalev A.V., Medvedeva I.V., Kostyleva N.V., Stoeva P. Manifestation of solar activity in the 557.7 nm and 630 nm atmospheric emission variations in solar cycle 23. Optika atmosfery i okeana [Atmospheric and Oceanic Optics]. 2008, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 425–431. (In Russian).
13. Shefov N.N., Semenov A.I., Khomich V.Yu. Upper Atmosphere Airglow as an Indicator of Its Structure and Dynamics. Moscow, GEOS Publ., 2006а, 741 p. (In Russian).
14. Shefov N.N., Semenov A.I., Yurchenko O.T. Empirical model for variations in the 630 nm atomic oxygen emission. 1. Intensity. Geomagnetizm i aeronomiya [Geomagnetism and Aeronomy]. 2006b, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 250–260. (In Russian).
15. Тoroshelidze T.I. Analys of Aeronomy Problems by the Upper Atmosphere Airglow. Tbilisi, Metsniereba Publ., 1991, 216 p. (In Russian).
16. Truttse Yu.L., Belyavskiy V.D. 6300 Å red oxygen emission and upper atmosphere density. Geomagnetizm i aeronomiya [Geomagnetism and Aeronomy]. 1975, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 101–104. (In Russian).
17. URL: http://atmos.iszf.irk.ru/ru/data/spectr (accessed March 15, 2018).
18. URL: http://spaceweathernews.com (accessed March 15, 2018).