УДК 55 Геология. Геологические и геофизические науки
It has been one hundred years since the birth of the outstanding scientist Professor V.A. Troitskaya. Her remarkable achievements in solar-terrestrial physics are widely known. For many years, Valeria A. Troitskaya was the President of the International Association of Geomagnetism and Aeronomy. This article deals with only one aspect of the multifaceted creative activity of V.A. Troitskaya. It relates to the problem of sources of ultra-low frequency (ULF) electromagnetic oscillations and waves outside Earth’s magnetosphere. We were fortunate to work under the leadership of V.A. Troitskaya on this problem. In this paper, we briefly describe the history from the emergence of the idea of the extramagnetospheric origin of dayside permanent ULF oscillations in the late 1960s to the modern quest made by ground and satellite means for ULF waves excited by solar surface oscillations propagating in the interplanetary medium and reaching Earth.
geoelectromagnetic oscillations, ultra-low frequency, Alfvén waves, magnetosphere, solar wind, in-terplanetary magnetic field, helioseismology
1. Asheim S. Serpentine emissions in the polar magnetic field. Inst. of Physics Rep. Ser. University of Oslo, 1983. Rep. 83–38. 23 p.
2. Fraser-Smith A.C. ULF/lower-ELF electromagnetic field measurements in the polar caps. Rev. Geophys. Space Phys. 1982, vol. 20, pp. 497–512. DOI: 10.1029/RG020i003p00497.
3. Guglielmi A. Diagnostics of the magnetosphere and interplanetary medium by means of pulsations. Space Sci. Rev. 1974, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 331–345.
4. Guglielmi A.V. Ultra-low-frequency electromagnetic waves in the Earth's crust and magnetosphere. Physics-Uspekhi. 2007, vol. 50, no. 12, pp. 1197–1216.
5. Guglielmi A.V., Dovbnya B.V. Hydromagnetic emission of the interplanetary plasma. Astrophys. Space Sci. 1974, vol. 31, pp. 11–29.
6. Guglielmi A.V., Pokhotelov O.A. Geoelectromagnetic Waves. Bristol and Philadelphia, IOP Publ. Ltd, 1996, 402 p.
7. Guglielmi A.V., Troitskaya V.A. Geomagnitnye pulsatsii i diagnostika magnitosfery [Geomagnetic Pulsations and Diagnostics of the Magnetosphere]. Moscow, Nauka Publ., 1973. 208 p. (In Russian).
8. Guglielmi A., Potapov A., Dovbnya B. 5-minute solar oscillations and ion cyclotron waves in the solar wind. Solar Phys. 2015, vol. 290, no. 10, pp. 3023–3032. DOI: 10.1007/s 11207-015-0772-2.
9. Jacobs J.A. Geomagnetic Micropulsations. New York, Heidelberg, Berlin, Springer-Verlag, 1970, 179 p.
10. Kangas J., Guglielmi A., Pokhotelov O. Morphology and physics of short-period magnetic pulsations (A Review). Space Sci. Rev. 1998, vol. 83, pp. 435–512.
11. Lundin R., Guglielmi A. Ponderomotive forces in cosmos. Space Sci. Rev. 2006, vol. 127, pp. 1–116.
12. Morris R.J., Cole K.D. “Serpentine emission” at the high latitude station Davis (17–23 September 1981). Exploration Geophys. 1986, vol. 17, p. 15. DOI: 10.1071/EG986015.
13. Morris R.J., Cole K.D. “Serpentine emission” at the high latitude antarctic station, Davis. Planet. Space Sci. 1987, vol. 35, pp. 313–328. DOI: 10.1016/0032-0633(87)90158-9.
14. Nishida A. Geomagnetic Diagnosis of the Magnetosphere. New York, Heidelberg, Berlin, Springer-Verlag, 1978, 256 p.
15. Potapov A.S. Excitation of Pc3 geomagnetic pulsations in front of the Earth’s bow shock by a reflected protons beam. Issledovaniya po geomagnetizmu, aeronomii i fizike Solntsa [Research on Geomagnetism, Aeronomy and Solar Physics]. 1974, iss. 34, pp. 3–12. (In Russian).
16. Potapov A.S., Polyushkina T.N., Pulyaev V.A. Observations of ULF waves in the solar corona and in the solar wind at the Earth's orbit. J. Atmosph. Solar-Terrestrial Phys. 2013, vol. 102, pp. 235–242.
17. Russell C.T., Hoppe M.M. Upstream waves and particles. Space Sci. Rev. 1983, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 115–172.
18. Sivokon’ V. P. Electromagnetic fluctuations in the ionospheric-magnetospheric circuit. Geomagnetism and Aeronomy. 2011, vol. 51, no. 4, pp. 513–519.
19. Troitskaya V.A. Pulsations of the Earth`s electromagnetic field with periods of 1 to 15 seconds and their connection with phenomena in the high atmosphere. J. Geophys. Res. 1961, vol. 66, no. 1, pp. 5–18.
20. Troitskaya V.A. Classification of rapid pulsations of the magnetic field and Earth currents. Geomagnetism and Aeronomy. 1964, vol. 4, pp. 490–495.
21. Troitskaya V.A. Geomagnetic pulsations in the polar cap. Magnetospheric Study: Proc. Int. Workshop on Select. Topics of Magnetospheric Phys. Tokyo, 1979, pp. 121–123.
22. Troitskaya V.A., Guglielmi A.V. Geomagnetic micropulsations and diagnostics of the magnetosphere. Space Sci. Rev. 1967, vol. 7, no. 5/6, pp. 689–769.
23. Troitskaya V.A., Guglielmi A.V. Geomagnetic pulsations and diagnostics of the magnetosphere. Soviet Physics. Uspekhi. 1969a, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 195–218.
24. Troitskaya V.A., Guglielmi A.V. Diagnostics of the parameters of the magnetosphere and of the interplanetary space by means of micropulsations. Low-Frequency Waves and Irregularities in the Ionosphere. Dordrecht, D. Reidel Publ. Co, 1969b, pp. 120–136.
25. Troitskaya V.A., Guglielmi A.V. Hydromagnetic diagnostics of plasma in the magnetosphere. Ann. Geophys. 1970, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 893–902.
26. Ulrich R.K. The five-minute oscillations on the solar surface. Astrophys. J. 1970, vol. 162, pp. 993–1002.
27. Zotov O.D., Guglielmi A.V., Sobisevich A.L. On magnetic precursors of earthquakes. Izvestiya, Physics of the Solid Earth. 2013, vol. 49, no. 6, pp. 882–889.