We discuss the modeling of propagation of a quasi-monochromatic radio signal, represented by a coherent pulse sequence, in a non-stationary multipath radio channel. In such a channel, signal propagation results in the observed frequency shift for each ray (Doppler effect). The modeling is based on the assumption that during propagation of a single pulse a channel can be considered stationary. A phase variation in the channel transfer function is shown to cause the observed frequency shift in the received signal. Thus, instead of measuring the Doppler frequency shift, we can measure the rate of variation in the mean phase of one pulse relative to another. The modeling is carried out within the framework of the method of normal waves. The method enables us to model the dynamics of the electromagnetic field at a given point with the required accuracy. The modeling reveals that a local change in ionospheric conditions more severely affects the rays whose reflection region is in the area where the changes occur.
Doppler effect, method of normal waves, modeling, non-stationary radio channel
1. Baddeley L.J., Yeoman T.K., Wright D.M. HF Doppler sounder measurements of the ionospheric signatures of small scale ULF waves. Ann. Geophys. 2005, vol. 23, pp. 1807–1820.
2. Barnes A.E. The calculation of instantaneous frequency and instantaneous bandwidth (Short Note). Geophysics. 1992, vol. 57, no. 11, pp. 1520–1524.
3. Batukhin V.I., Ivanov V.A., Kolchev A.A., Rozanov S.Z. Measuring the Doppler frequency shift of particular rays using LFM ionosonde. Izvestiya vuzov. Radiofizika [Radiophysics and Quantum Electronics]. 2000, vol. 43, no. 12, pp. 1044–1054. (In Russian).
4. Bianchi C., Altadill D. Ionospheric Doppler measurements by means of HF-radar techniques. Ann. Geophys. 2005, vol. 48, no. 6, pp. 989–993.
5. Cohen L. Time-Frequency Analysis. New Jersey, Prentice Hall Ptr, 1995, 206 p.
6. Ivanov D.V., Yegoshin A.B., Ivanov V.A., Ryabova N.V. Informatsionno-Analiticheskaya Sistema dlya Issledovaniya Ionosfery i Kanalov Dekametrovoi Radiosvyazi [Information-Analytical System for Studying the Ionosphere and Channels of Decameter Radio Communication]. Yoshkar-Ola, Volga State University of Technology Publ., 2006, 256 p. (In Russian).
7. Kurkin V.I., Orlov I.I., Popov V.N. Method Normal’nykh Voln v Probleme Korotkovolnovoi Radiosvyazi [Method of Normal Waves in the Problem of Short-Wave Radio Communication]. Moscow, Nauka Publ., 1981, 124 p. (In Russian).
8. Petrova I.R., Bochkarev V.V., Latipov R.R. Application of HF Doppler measurements for the investigation of internal atmospheric waves in the ionosphere. Adv. Space Res. 2009, vol. 44, no. 6, pp. 685–692.
9. Potekhin A.P., Orlov I.I. Approximate formula of summation of a sequence of normal waves. Issledovaniya po geomagetizmu, aeronomii i fizike Solntsa [Research on geomagnetism, Aeronomy and Solar Physics]. Moscow, Nauka Publ., 1981, iss. 57, pp. 135–137. (In Russian).