The paper deals with generation of Alfvén plasma disturbances in magnetic flux tubes through exploding laser plasma in magnetized background plasma. Processes with similar effect of excitation of torsion-type waves seem to provide energy transfer from the solar photosphere to the corona. The studies were carried out at experimental stand KI-1 representing a high-vacuum chamber 1.2 m in diameter, 5 m in length, external magnetic field up to 500 G along the chamber axis, and up to 2·10–6 Torr pressure in operating mode. Laser plasma was produced when focusing the CO2 laser pulse on a flat polyethylene target, and then the laser plasma propagated in θ-pinch background hydrogen (or helium) plasma. As a result, the magnetic flux tube 15–20 cm in radius was experimentally simulated along the chamber axis and the external magnetic field direction. Also, the plasma density distribution in the tube was measured. Alfvén wave propagation along the magnetic field was registered from disturbance of the magnetic field transverse component Bφ and field-aligned current Jz. The disturbances propagate at a near-Alfvén velocity 70–90 km/s and they are of left-hand circular polarization of the transverse component of magnetic field. Presumably, the Alfvén wave is generated by the magnetic laminar mechanism of collisionless interaction between laser plasma cloud and background. A right-hand polarized high-frequency whistler predictor was registered which propagated before the Alfvén wave at a velocity of 300 km/s. The polarization direction changed with the Alfvén wave coming. Features of a slow magnetosonic wave as a sudden change in background plasma concentration along with simultaneous displacement of the external magnetic field were found. The disturbance propagates at ~20–30 km/s velocity, which is close to that of ion sound at low plasma beta value. From preliminary estimates, the disturbance transfers about 10 % of the original energy of laser plasma.
Solar corona heating, magnetic flux tubes, Alfvén waves, slow magnetosonic waves, whistlers, magnetic laminar mechanism
1. Antolin P., Shibata K. The role of torsional Alfven waves in coronal heating. Astrophys. J. 2010, vol. 712, no. 1, pp. 494–510.
2. Antolin P., Okamoto T.J., De Pontieu B., Uitenbroek H., Van Doorsselaere T., Yokoyama T. Resonant absorption of transverse oscillations and associated heating in a solar prominence. I. Numerical aspects. Astrophys. J. 2015, vol. 809, no. 1, p. 72.
3. Antonov V.M., Bashurin V.P., Golubev A.I., Zhmailo V.A., Zakharov Y.P., Ponomarenko A.G., Posukh V.G. Experimental study of the collisionless interaction of interpenetrating plasma flows. Zhurnal prikladnoi mekhaniki i tekhnicheskoi fiziki [Journal of Applied Mechanics and Technical Physics]. 1985, no. 6, p. 3 (in Russian).
4. Bashurin V.P., Golubev A.I., Terekhin V.A. About collisionless braking ionized clouds, fly away in a homogeneous magnetized plasma. Zhurnal prikladnoi mekhaniki i tekhnicheskoi fiziki [Journal of Applied Mechanics and Technical Physics]. 1983, no. 5, pp. 10–17 (in Russian).
5. Brady P., Ditmire T., Horton W., Mays M.L., Zakharov Yu.P., Laboratory experiments simulating wind driven magnetospheres. Physics of Plasmas. 2009, vol. 16, no. 4, 043112.
6. De Moortel I., Nakaryakov V.M. Magnetohydrodynamic waves and coronal seismology: An overview of recent results. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences. 2012, vol. 370, no. 1970, pp. 3193–3216.
7. Dudnikova G.I., Orishich A.M., Ponomarenko A.G., Vshivkov V.A., Zakharov Yu.P. Laboratory and computer simulations of wave generation processes in non-stationary astrophysical phenomena. Plasma Astrophysics, ESA No SP. 1990, vol. 311, pp. 191–194.
8. Gekelman W., Van Zeeland M., Vincena S., Pribyl P. Laboratory experiments on Alfvén waves caused by rapidly expanding plasmas and their relationship to space phenomena. J. Geophys. Res. Space Phys. 2003, vol. 108, no. A7, р. 1281.
9. Kline J.L., Scime E.E. Parametric decay instabilities in the HELIX helicon plasma source. Physics of Plasmas. 2003, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 135–144.
10. Mourenas D., Simonet F., Zakharov Yu.P., et al. Laboratory and PIC simulations of collisionless interaction between expanding space plasma clouds and magnetic field with and without ionized background. Journal de Physique IV. 2006, vol. 133, pp. 1025–1030.
11. Muller G. Experimental study of torsional Alfven waves in a cylindrical partially ionized magnetoplasma. J. Plasma Physics. 1974, vol. 16, pp. 813–822.
12. Niemann C., Gekelman W., Constantin C.G., et al. Dynamics of exploding plasmas in a large magnetized plasma. Physics of Plasmas. 2013, vol. 20, no. 1, 012108.
13. Okamoto T.J., Antolin P., De Pontieu B., Uitenbroek H., Van Doorsselaere T., Yokoyama T. Resonant absorption of transverse oscillations and associated heating in a solar prominence. I. Observational aspects. Astrophys. J. 2015, vol. 80, no. 1, p. 71.
14. Oraevsky V.N., Ruzhin Yu.Ya., Badin V.I., Deminov M.G. Alfven wave generation by means of high orbital injection of barium cloud in magnetosphere. Adv. Space Res. 2002, vol. 29, no. 9, pp. 1327–1334.
15. Ponomarenko A.G., Zakharov Yu.P., Antonov V.M., et al. Laser plasma experiments to simulate coronal mass ejections during giant solar flare and their strong impact on magnetospheres. IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science. 2007, vol. 35, no. 4, pt. 1, pp. 813–821.
16. Priest E.R. Solnechnaya magnitogidrodinamika [Solar Magnetohydrodynamics]. Moscow, Mir Publ., 1985, 589 p. (in Russian).
17. Prokopov P.A., Zakharov Yu.P., Tishchenko V.N., Shaikhislamov I.F., Boyarintsev E.L., Melekhov A.V., Ponomarenko A.G., Posukh V.G., Terekhin V.A. Laser plasma simulations of the generation processes of Alfven and collisionless shock waves in space plasma. Journal of Physics. Conference Series. 2016. In print.
18. Rahbarnia K. Ullrich S., Sauer K., et al. Alfvén wave dispersion behavior in single-and multicomponent plasmas. Physics of Plasmas. 2010, vol. 17, no. 3, 032102.
19. Shaikhislamov I.F., Zakharov Y.P., Posukh V.G., Melekhov A.V., Boyarintsev E.L., Ponomarenko A.G., Terekhin V.A. Experimental study of super-Alfven collisionless interaction of interpenetrating plasma flows. Fizika plazmy [Plasma Physics]. 2015, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 434–442. DOI: 10.7668/S036729211 5050054 (in Russian).
20. Tishchenko V.N., Shaikhislamov I.F. Wave merging mechanism: formation of low-frequency Alfven and magnetosonic waves in cosmic plasmas. Kvantovaya elektronika [Quantum Electronics]. 2014, vol. 44, no. 2, p. 98 (in Russian).
21. Tishchenko V.N., Shaikhislamov I.F. The mechanism of merging of shock waves in a plasma with a magnetic field: criteria and efficiency of formation of low-frequency magnetosonic waves. Kvantovaya elektronika [Quantum Electronics]. 2010, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 464–469 (in Russian).
22. Tishchenko V.N., Shaikhislamov I.F., Berezutskiy A.G. The mechanism of merging of waves in space plasma with magnetic field: transportation of momentum and angular momentum. Superkomp’yuternye tekhnologii v nauke, obrazovanii i promyshlennosti: al’manakh [Supercomputers Technologies in Science, Education and Industry: The almanac]. Moscow, MSU Publ., 2014, pp. 65–74 (in Russian).
23. Tishchenko V.N., Zakharov Y.P., Boyarintsev E.L., Melekhov A.V., Posukh V.G., Shaikhislamov I.F., Prokopov P.A., Berezutskiy A.G. Simulation of laser plasma generation processes and Alfven shock waves in space plasma with magnetic fields. VI Vserossiiskaya konferentsiya po vzaimodeistviyu vysokokontsentrirovannykh potokov energii s materialami v perspektivnykh tekhnologiyah i meditsine [6th National Conference on the Interaction of Highly Concentrated Flows of Energy Materials in Advanced Technology and Medicine]. Novosibirsk, 2015, pp. 111–115 (in Russian).
24. Vchivkov V.A., Dudnikova G.I., Zakharov Y.P., Orishich A.M. Generatsiya plazmennykh vozmushchenii pri besstolknovitel´nom vzaimodeistvii sverkhal’fvenovskikh potokov [Generation of Plasma Disturbances in the Collisionless Interaction of Super-Alfven Flows]. Preprint no. 20-87. Novosibirsk, Institute of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics Publ., 1987, 49 p.
25. Vranjes J. Alfvén wave coupled with flow-driven fluid instability in interpenetrating plasmas. Physics of Plasmas. 2015, vol. 22, no. 5, 052102.
26. Wilcox J.M., DeSilva A.W., Cooper W.S. Experiments on Alfven-wave propagation. Physics of Fluids. 1961, vol. 4, p. 1506.
27. Winske D., Gary S.P. Hybrid simulations of debris, ambient ion interactions in astrophysical explosions. J. Geophys. Res. 2007, vol. 112, A10303.
28. Wright T.P. Early‐time model of laser plasma expansion. Physics of Fluids. 1971, vol. 14, no. 9, pp. 1905–1910.
29. Yagai T., Kumagai R., Hosokawa Y., Hattori K., Ando A., Inutake M. Excitation of an axisymmetric shear Alfvén wave by a Rogowski‐type antenna. Plasma Physics: 11th International Congress on Plasma Physics. ICPP2002. AIP Publ., 2003, vol. 669, no. 1, pp. 137–140.
30. Zakharov Yu.P. Laboratory simulations of artificial plasma releases in space. Adv. Space Res. 2002, vol. 29, no. 9, pp. 1335–1344.
31. Zakharov Yu.P. Collisionless laboratory astrophysics with lasers. Plasma Science. IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science. 2003, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 1243–1251.
32. Zakharov Yu.P., Antonov V.M., Boyarintsev E.L., et al. The role of the Hall flute instability in the interaction of laser and space plasma with magnetic field. Fizika plazmy [Plasma Physics]. 2006, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 207–229 (in Russian).
33. Zakharov Yu.P., Ponomarenko A.G., Vchivkov K.V., Horton W., Brady P. Laser-plasma simulations of artificial magnetosphere formed by giant coronal mass ejections. Astrophys. Space Sci. 2009, vol. 322, no. 1–4, pp. 151–154.