UDK 52 Астрономия. Геодезия
The article is dedicated to the anniversary of the discovery of Alfvén waves. The concept of Alfvén waves has played an outstanding role in the formation and development of cosmic electrodynamics. A distinctive feature of Alfvén waves is that at each point in space the group velocity vector and the external magnetic field vector are collinear to each other. As a result, Alfvén waves can carry momentum, energy, and information over long distances. We briefly describe two Alfvén resonators, one of which is formed in the ionosphere, and the second presumably exists in Earth’s radiation belt. The existence of the ionospheric resonator is justified theoretically and confirmed by numerous observations. The second resonator is located between reflection points located high above Earth symmetrically with respect to the plane of the geomagnetic equator.
Alfvén velocity, dispersion law, group velocity, geometrical optics, heavy ions
1. Alfvén H. Existence of electromagnetic-hydrodynamic waves. Nature. 1942, vol. 150, pp. 405–406.
2. Alfvén H. Cosmical Electrodynamics. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1950. 237 p. (Russ. ed.: Alfvén H. Cosmical Electrodynamics. Moscow, Inostrannaya literatura Publ., 1952. 260 p.)
3. Belyaev P.P., Polakov S.V. Boundary conditions for MGD waves on the ionosphere. Geomagnetizm i aeronomiya [Geomagnetism and Aeronomy]. 1980, vol. 20, iss. 4, pp. 637–641.
4. Gintsburg M.A. Low-frequency waves in multi-component plasma. Geomagnetizm i aeronomiya [Geomagnetism and Aeronomy]. 1963, vol. 3, pp. 757–761.
5. Guglielmi A.V. MGD volny v okolozemnoi plazme [MHD Waves in Near-Terrestrial Plasma]. Moscow, Nauka Publ., 1979, 139 p. (In Russian).
6. Guglielmi A., Potapov A., Russell C. The ion cyclotron resonator. JETP Letters. 2000, vol. 72, iss. 6, pp. 432–435.
7. Guglielmi A.V., Potapov A.S. The effect of heavy ions on the spectrum of oscillations of the magnetosphere. Cosmic Res. 2012, vol. 50, no. 4, pp. 263–271. DOI: 10.1134/S0010952512040016.
8. Guglielmi A., Potapov A., Dovbnya B. Five-minute solar oscillations and ion-cyclotron waves in the solar wind. Solar Phys. 2015, vol. 290, no. 10, pp. 3023–3032. DOI: 10.1007/s11207-015-0772-2.
9. Guglielmi A.V., Potapov A.S. Frequency-modulated ULF waves in near-Earth space. Physics-Uspekhi (Adv. Phys. Sci.). 2021, vol. 64, no. 5, pp. 452–467. DOI: 10.3367/UFNe.2020.06.038777.
10. Landau L.D., Lifshits E.M. Teoreticheskaya fizika. Tom VIII. Elektrodinamika sploshnykh sred [Theoretical Physics. Vol. VIII. Electrodynamics of Continuous Media]. 4th Edition. Moscow, Fizmatlit Publ., 2003, 656 p.
11. Lundin R., Guglielmi A. Ponderomotive forces in Cosmos. Space Sci. Rev. 2006, vol. 127, no. 1-4, pp. 1–116. DOI: 10.1007/s11214-006-8314-8.
12. Mikhailova O.S. Korotkoperiodnye UNCh-volny v mnogokomponentnoi kosmicheskoi plazme. Avtoref. Diss. cand. fiz.-mat. nauk [Short-period ULF waves in multicomponent space plasma]. Cand. phys. and math. sci. abstr.of diss. Irkutsk, 2017, 16 p.
13. Potapov A.S., Polyushkina T.N., Dovbnya B.V., Tsegmed B., Rakhmatulin R.A. Emissions of ionospheric Alfvén resonator and ionospheric conditions. J. Atmos. Solar-Terr. Phys. 2014, vol. 119, rr. 91–101. DOI: 10.1016/j.jastp.2014.07.001.
14. Potapov A.S., Guglielmi A.V., Klain B.I. Discrete spectrum of ULF oscillations of the ionosphere. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing. 2022, vol. 60, art. no. 4600505. DOI: 10.1109/TGRS.2021.3092738.
15. URL: https://rscf.ru/project/22-27-00280 (accessed February 10, 2022).