We discuss the relationship of solar activity with the seismicity of Earth and reasons for the differences in the results of studies of various authors. Using the epoch superposition method, we analyze the differences in seismic activity distribution over phases of the 11-year solar cycle for the whole world, hemispheres, sectors, latitudinal belts, and individual regions. The northeastern sector of Earth has been shown to make the main contribution to the planetary distribution of seismic activity over phases of the 11-year solar cycle. We have revealed a pattern in the distribution of seismic activity over latitudinal belts: the solar cycle phases, at which the main maximum of seismic activity occurs, increase with increasing latitude in both hemispheres. For some regions, the results may differ from the generalized results for Earth due to the influence of local geodynamic conditions during the destruction of the earth's crust. In middle latitudes, the maximum number of earthquakes is shifted to the later phases of the solar cycle from west to east, which was not found for the northern regions. We discuss possible reasons for various manifestations of solar-terrestrial relationships for different regions, taking into account their different structure and geodynamic development modes. The presence of pronounced maxima of the seismic activity distribution over the 11-year solar cycle phases allows us to use them for refining the “time” parameter in the medium-term prediction of dangerous earthquakes.
periodicity in seismic mode, solar activity, drift of Earth’s core, asymmetry of the hemispheres, solar-terrestrial relations, geodynamics, factors of extraterrestrial effects, medium-term earthquake prediction
1. Avsyuk Yu.N. Prilivnye sily i prirodnye protsessy [Tidal Forces and Natural Processes]. Moscow, IPE RAS Publ., 1996, 188 p. (In Russian).
2. Bakirov A.B. The most important Earth’s structures and sources of energy of geodynamic processes. Fundamental’nye problemy geotektoniki: materialy coveshchaniya [Proc. XL Tectonic Workshop “Fundamental Problems of Geotectonic”] Vol. 1. Moscow, GEOS Publ., 2007, pp. 43–45. (In Russian).
3. Barkin Yu.V. Interpretation of endogenous activity of planets and their satellites, and its cyclicity. Trans. of Earth’s Sci. Section of RANS. Moscow, VINITI Publ., 2002, pp. 45–97. (In Russian).
4. Barkin Yu.V. Relative displacements of Earth’s core and mantle, and their role in a seismic process. Mezhdunarodnaya konferentsya “Geologiya: istoriya, teoriya, praktika” [International Conference “Geology: History, Theory, Practice”] Moscow, State Geological Museum Publ., 2009, pp. 20–24. (In Russian).
5. Barkin Yu.V. Synchronous jumps in processes and phenomena on Earth, Moon and Sun in 1997–1998, and their common mechanism. Geologiya morei i okeanov: Trudy XX Mezdunarodnoi nauchnoi konferetsii (shkoly) po morskoi geologii [Geology of Seas and Oceans. Proc. XX International Scientific Conference (School) on Sea Geology]. Vol. 5. Moscow, GEOS Publ., 2013, pp. 21–25. (In Russian).
6. Chipizubov A.V. On prediction of changes in Earth’s seismicity from variability of solar activity and other geonomic processes. XII Russian-Mongolian International Conference “Solar-Terres-trial Relations and Geodynamics of the Baikal-Mongolia Region”: Abstracts. Irkutsk, October 2–4, 2018, p. 25. (In Russian).
7. Dobretsov N.L., Turkina O.M. Early Precambrian Earth history: the role of plate and plum tectonics and extraterrestrial controls. Geologiya i geofizika [Geology and Geophys.]. Geology and Geophys. 2015, vol. 56, no. 7, pp. 1250–1274. (In Russian). DOI: 10.15372/GiG20150702.
8. Dyad’kov P.G. Periodicities in seismic regime and tension changes in Baikal Rift Zone crust: correlation with 11-year solar cyclicity and seasonal variations of Lake Baikal. Atlas vremennykh variatsii prirodnykh, antropogennykh i sotsial’nykh protsessov [Atlas of Time Variations in Natural, Anthropogenic and Social Processes]. Vol. 3. Moscow, Yanus-K Publ., 2002, pp. 251–254. (In Russian).
9. Goncharov M.A., Raznitsin Yu.N., Barkin Yu.V. Northern component in continental drift in Phanerozoic: structural consequences and possible origin. Doklady Akademii nauk [Doklady Physics]. 2014, vol. 455, no. 5, pp. 550–552. (In Russian). DOI: 10.7868/S0869565214110176.
10. Khain V.E., Khalilov E.N. Tsiklichnoct’ geodinamicheskikh protsessov: eyo vozmozhnaya priroda [Cyclicity of Geodynamic Processes: its Possible Origin]. Moscow, Nauchnyi mir Publ., 2009, 520 p. (In Russian).
11. Levin B.W. On the nature of some periodic changes in Earth’s seismic regime. Vestnik DVO RAN [Vestnik of the Far East Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences]. 2006, no. 1, pp. 51–58. (In Russian).
12. Levin B.W., Sasorova E.V. Seismotectonics and Earth tides. Russian Journal of Pacific Geology. 2012, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 70–77. DOI: 10.1134/S1819714012010095.
13. Levina E.A., Ruzhich V.V. Earthquake migration as a manifestation of wave deformations of the Earth’s crust. Vserossiiskii seminar-coveshchanie “Triggernye effekty v geosistemakh”: trudy [Proc. the Russian National Seminar-Meeting “Trigger Effects in Geosystems”]. Moscow, GEOS Publ., 2010, pp. 71–78. (In Russian).
14. Levina E.A., Ruzhich V.V. The seismicity migration study based on space-time diagrams. Geodynamics and Tectonophysics. 2015. vol. 6, iss. 2, pp. 225–240. DOI: 10.5800/GT-2015-6-2-0178.
15. Levina E.A., Ruzhich V.V. Manifestation of 11-year periodicity in seismomigration processes of Earth’s rift systems. Trudy III Vserossiiskogo coveshchaniya i II Vserossiiskoi molodezhnoi shkoly po sovremennoi geodinamike “Sovremennaya geodinamika Tsentral’noi Azii i opasnye prirodnye protsessy” [Proc III Russian National Meeting and II Young Scientist's School on Present-Day Geodynamics “Present-Day Geodynamics of Central Asia and Hazardous Natural Processes: Results of Studies at Quantative Basis”]. Irkutsk, IEC SB RAS Publ., 2016, pp. 269–272. (In Russian).
16. Letnikov F.A. Super-deep fluid Earth’s systems and oregenesis problems. Geologiya rudnykh mestorozhdenii [Geology of Ore Deposits]. 2001, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 291–307. (In Russian).
17. Lyubushin A.A., Pisarenko V.F., Ruzhich V.V., Buddo V.Yu. Extraction of periodicities in seismic regime. Vulkanologiya i seismologiya [Volcanology and Seismology]. 1998, no. 1, pp. 62–76. (In Russian).
18. Nagovitsin Yu.A. Solar activity and solar-terrestrial relations at different time scales. Vserossiiskaya konferentsya “Solnechnaya aktivnost’ i priroda global’nykh i regional’nykh klimaticheskikh izmenenii” [Russian National Conference “Solar Activity and Nature of Global and Regional Changes”]. Abstracts. Irkutsk, June 19–22, 2012, p. 20. (In Russian).
19. Northern California Earthquake Data Center. URL: http://www.ncedc.org. (accessed May 20, 2019).
20. Raman K. Space weather — Sun Earth – relations. Intern. J. Astron. Astrophys. 2011, no. 1. pp. 10–14. DOI: 10.4236/ijaa.2011.11003.
21. Rodkin M.V., Rundkvist D.V. Geoflyuidogeodinamika. Prilozhenie k seismologii, tektonike, protsessam rudo- i nefte- geneza [Geofluid Geodynamics. Application to Seismology, Tectonics, and Processes of Ore and Oil Genesis]. Dolgoprudny, Intellekt Publ., 2017, 288 p. (In Russian).
22. Ruzhich V.V. Seismotektonicheskaya destruktsiya v zemnoi kore Baikal’skoi riftovoi zony [Seismotectonic destruction in the Earth’s crust of Baikal Rift Zone]. Novosibirsk, SB RAS Publ., 1997, 144 p. (In Russian).
23. Ruzhich V.V., Sherman S.I., Tarasevich S.I. New data on overthrusts in south-western flank of Baikal Rift Zone. Doklady Akademii nauk [Doklady Physics]. 1972, vol. 205, no. 4, pp. 920–924. (In Russian).
24. Ruzhich V.V., Levina Ye.A., Ponomareva E.I. Availabi-lity and problems of the earthquake prediction (on an example of the Baikal rift). Mezhdunarodnaya yubileinaya nauchnaya konferetsiya “Vozdeistvie vneshnikh polei na seismicheskii rezhim i monitoring ikh proyavlenii” [International anniversary scientific conference “Effect of external fields on seismic regime and monitoring of their manifestations]: Abstracts. Bishkek, Kirghizia, NS RAN, July 3–7, 2018.
25. Sidorenkov N.S. The Interaction Between Earth's Rotation and Geophysical Processes. Weinheim,WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH and Co. KGaA, 2009, 305 p. DOI: 10.1002/ 9783527627721.
26. Smolkov G.Ya. The natural changes of solar-terrestrial relations. Adv. Res. Astrophys. 2018, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 205–217. DOI: 10.22606/adap.2018.34001.
27. Smolkov G.Ya., Barkin Yu.V. To the systemic and interdisciplinary research into solar-terrestrial relationships. Kollokvium “Kosmicheskie factory evolutsii biosfery i geosfery: trudy [Proc. Colloquium “Cosmic Factors of Biosphere and Geosphere Evolution”]. Moscow, May 21–23, 2014. S. Petersburg, VVM Publ., 2014, p. 162. (In Russian).
28. Song X., Richards P.G. Seismological evidence for differen-tial rotation of the Earth’s inner sore. Nature. 1996, vol. 382, pp. 221–224. DOI: 10.1038/382221a0.
29. Stothers R.B. Hot spot and Sun spot: surface of deep mantle convection in the Earth and Sun. Earth and Planetary Sci. Lett. 1993, vol. 116, pp. 62–69. DOI: 10.1016/0012-821X(93)90041-7.
30. Tyapkin K.F. Change in rotation axis position in the Earth’s body: origin, mechanism, and use for interpretation of global tectonic processes in the Earth’s crust. Geofizicheskii Zhurnal [Geophys. J.]. 2012, vol. Z4, no. 6, pp. 91–100. (In Russian).
31. Zotov L.V., Barkin Yu.V., Lubushin A.A. Geocenter motion and its geodynamical content. Space Geodynamics and Modeling of the Global Geodynamic Processes. Novosibirsk, Russian Federation, 22–26 September, 2008. Novosibirsk, Academic Publ. House “Geo”, 2009, pp. 98–101.
32. URL: http://www.seis-bykl.ru (accessed May 20, 2019).