UDK 55 Геология. Геологические и геофизические науки
For the experimental study of the relationship between earthquakes and solar activity, we introduce the idea of the statistical sum Z of earthquake ensemble. A number of numerical parameters of seismicity (average planetary magnitude, entropy, fluctuations of magnitude) are expressed through Z. A severe restriction is, however, imposed on the magnitude during the formation of the ensemble. We propose an alternative method. It does not have this specific restriction, although it allows us to calculate only one numerical parameter, namely the global daily magnitude Mg. Over the 20-year period from 1980 to 1999, 7300 values of Mg have been calculated. The comparison between the Mg values and Wolf numbers W made it possible to determine the effect of the Sun on earthquakes at a statistically significant level.
Wolf numbers, earthquakes, magnitude, Gutenberg—Richter law, statistical sum, solar-terrestrial relations
1. Adushkin V.V., Ryabova S.A., Spivak A.A., Kharlamov V.A. Response of the seismic background to geomagnetic variations. Doklady Earth Sciences. 2012, vol. 444, no. 1, pp. 642–646. DOI: 10.1134/S1028334X12050157.
2. Buchachenko A.L. Magnetoplasticity and the physics of earthquakes. Can a catastrophe be prevented? Physics-Uspekhi. 2014, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 92–98. DOI: 10.3367/UFNe. 0184.201401e.0101.
3. Buchachenko A.L. Microwave stimulation of dislocations and the magnetic control of the earthquake core. Physics-Uspekhi. 2019, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 46–53. DOI: 10.3367/ UFNe.2018.03.038301.
4. Duma G., Ruzhin Y. Diurnal changes of earthquake activity and geomagnetic Sq variation. Nat. Hazards Earth Sys. Sci. 2003, vol. 3, no. 3/4, pp. 171–177. DOI: 10.5194/nhess-3-171-2003.
5. Fainberg E.B., Avagimov A.A., Zeigarnik V.A., Vasil'eva T.A. Generation of heat flows in the Earth's interior by global geomagnetic storms. Fizika Zemli [Physics of the Solid Earth]. 2004, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 315–322 (In Russian).
6. Guglielmi A.V. Ponderomotive forces in the crust and magnetosphere of the Earth. Fizika Zemli [Physics of the Solid Earth]. 1992, no. 7, pp. 35–39. (In Russian).
7. Guglielmi A.V., Zotov O.D. On magnetic disturbances before strong earthquakes. Fizika Zemli [Physics of the Solid Earth]. 2012, no. 2, pp. 84–87. (In Russian).
8. Guglielmi A.V., Lavrov I.P., Sobisevich A.L. Storm sudden commencements and earthquakes. Solnechno-zemnaya fizika [Solar-Terrestrial Physics]. 2015, vol. 1, iss. 1, pp. 98–103. (In Russian).
9. Guglielmi A.V., Klain B.I. Global magnitude of the earthquakes. arXiv:1909.00879 [physics.geo-ph]. (accessed September 30, 2019).
10. Hayakawa M. Electromagnetic phenomena associated with earthquakes: Review. Trans. Ins. Electr. Engrs. of Japan. 2001, vol. 121-A, pp. 893–898. DOI: 10.1541/ieejfms. 126.211.
11. Husamiddinov S.S. Seismoelectromagnetic and seismoionospheric effects preceding strong earthquakes in Uzbekistan. J. Earthquake Prediction Res. 2000, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 367–375.
12. Kasahara K. Mekhanika zemletryasenii [Earthquake mechanics]. Moscow, Mir Publ.,1985, 264 p. (In Russian). (English edition: Kasahara K. Earthquake mechanics. Cambridge University Press, 1981. 284 p.)
13. Landau L.D., Lifshitz E.M. Statisticheskaya fizika [Statistical physics]. Pt. 1. Moscow, Fizmatlit Publ., 2005, 616 p. (In Russian). (English edition: Landau L.D., Lifshitz E.M. Statistical physics. Pt. 1. Butterworth-Heinemann, 1980. 544 p.)
14. Masci F. On the recent reaffirmation of ULF magnetic earthquakes precursors. Nat. Hazards Earth Syst. Sci. 2011, vol. 11, pp. 2193–2198. DOI: 10.5194/nhess-11-2193-2011.
15. Richter C.F. Elementary Seismology. San Francisco,W.H. Freeman and Company; London, Bailey Bros. & Swinfen Ltd., 1958, 768 p.
16. Rytov S.M. Vvedenie v statisticheskuyu radiofiziku. Ch. 1: Sluchainye protsessy [Introduction to Statistical Radiophysics. Pt. 1: Random processes]. Moscow, Nauka Publ., 1976. 484 p. (In Russian).
17. Schekotov A.Yu., Fedorov E.N., Hobara Y., Hayakawa M. ULF magnetic field depression as a possible precursor to the 2011/3.11 Japan earthquake. Telecommunications and Radio Engineering. 2012, vol. 71, iss. 18, P. 1707–1718. DOI: 10.1615/ TelecomRadEng.v71.i18.70.
18. Sobisevich L.E., Kanonidi K.Kh., Sobisevich A.L. Observations of ULF geomagnetic disturbances reproduced processes of preparation and development of tsunamigenic earthquakes. Doklady akademii nauk [Doklady Earth Sciences]. 2010, vol. 435, no. 2, pp. 1627–1632 (In Russian). DOI: 10.1134/ S1028334X10120160.
19. Tarasov N.T. The effect of solar activity on the seismicity of the Earth. Inzhenernaya fizika [Engineering Physics]. 2019, no. 6, pp. 23–33 (In Russian).
20. Zakrzhevskaya N.A., Sobolev G.A. The effect of magnetic storms with a sudden start on seismicity in different regions. Vulkanologiya i seismologiya [Volcanology and Seismology]. 2004, no. 3, pp. 63–75 (In Russian).
21. URL: https://omniweb.gsfc.nasa.gov/form/dx1.html (accessed September 30, 2019).
22. URL: https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/ (accessed September 30, 2019).