In the space experiment Radar–Progress, we have made 33 series of measurements of geomagnetic variations during ignitions of engines of Progress cargo spacecraft in low Earth orbit. We used magneto-measuring complexes, installed at observatories of the Institute of Solar-Terrestrial Physics of Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences, and magnetotelluric equipment of a mobile complex. We assumed that engine running can cause geomagnetic disturbances in field tubes crossed by the spacecraft. When analyzing experimental data, we took into account the following space weather factors: solar wind parameters, total daily mid-latitude geomagnetic activity index Kр, geomagnetic auroral electrojet index AE, global geomagnetic activity.
Active Radar–Progress space experiment, Geomagnetic pulsations, Geomagnetic field variations, Space weather
1. Dmitriev A.N., Robertus Yu.V., Shitov A.V. On the problem of local geomagnetic disturbances during launches of carrier rockets. Fizicheskie problemy ekologii (Ekologicheskaya fizika) [Physical Problems in Ecology (Ecological Physics)]. Moscow: MAKSPress Publ. 2002, no. 8, pp. 32–42. (In Russian).
2. Fatkullin N.N. Physics of the Ionosphere. Itogi nauki i tekhniki. Geomagtetizm i vysokie sloi atmosfery [Results in Science and Technology. Geomagnetism and high atmospheric layers]. Moscow: VINITI Publ., 1982, vol. 6, 224 p. (In Russian).
3. Khakhinov V.V., Potekhin A.P., Lebedev V.P., Medvedev A.V., Kushnarev D.S., Shpynev B.G., Zarudnev V.E., Alsatkin S.S., Ratovsky K.G., Podlesny A.V., Bryn’ko I.G. Radiophysical methods of diagnostics of ionospheric disturbances generated by on-board engines of transport spacecraft “Progress”: Algorithms, instruments and results. Rossiyskaya nauchnaya konferetsiya “Zondirovanie zemnykh pokrovov radarami s sintezirovannoi aperturoi” [National Scientific Conference Earth Surface Sounding by Radars and Synthetic Aperture]. 2010, pp. 553–569. (In Russian).
4. Khakhinov V.V., Shpynev B.G., Lebedev V.P., Kushnarev D.S., Alsatkin S.S., Khabituev D.S. Radiosounding of ionospheric disturbances generated by exhaust streams of the transport spacecraft “Progress” engines. PIERS Proc. Moscow, Russia, August 19–23, 2012, pp. 1168–1171.
5. Lipko Yu.V., Vugmeister B.O., Rakhmatulin R.A. Ionospheric manifestations of geomagnetic pulsations at high latitudes. Geomagnetizm i aeronomiya [Geomagnetism and Aeronomy]. 2001, no. 3, pp. 332–336. (In Russian).
6. Naumov N., Nikolsky V., Pertsev S., Rudenko V. Military-applied aspects of geophysical research abroad. Zarubezhnoe voennoe obozrenie [Foreign Military Review]. 2014, no. 1, pp. 24–31. (In Russian).
7. Potekhin A.P., Khakhinov V.V., Medvedev A.V., Kushnarev D.S., Lebedev V.A., Shpynev B.G. Active space experiments with the use of the transport spacecraft “Progress” and Irkutsk IS Radar. PIERS Proc. Moscow, Russia, August 18–21, 2009, pp. 223–227.
8. Rakhmatulin R.A. Subburya v geomagnitnykh pulsatsiyakh. Eksperimenty na meridional’nykh tsepochkahk stantsy Evraziyskogo kontinenta 1973–2003: aftoreferat diss. [Substorm in geomagnetic pulsations. Experiments at meridional chains of Eurasia continent stations 1973–2003. Abstract of dissertation… Dr. Phys. and Math. Sci.]. 2010, 42 с. (In Russian).
9. Rakhmatulin R.A., Petrovsky M.A. Research into dynamic spectra of high-latitude Pi2 pulsations. Isslelovaniya po geomagnetizmu, aeronomii i fizike Solntsa [Research on Geomagnetism, Aeronomy and Solar Physics]. Moscow: Nauka Publ., 1994, iss. 103, pp. 49–56. (In Russian).
10. Rakhmatulin R.А., Pashinin A.Yu. Influence of the ionosphere on the observation of the mid-latitude Pi2 pulsations at the global scale. Chinese J. Space Sci. 2005, vol. 25, no. 5. pp. 447–449.
11. Smirnova N.V., Kozlov S.I., Kozik E.A. Effect of launches of solid-propellant rockets on the Earth’s ionosphere 2. Regions E, E–F. Kosmicheskie issledovaniya [Cosmic Research]. 1995, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 115–123. (In Russian).
12. Lebedev V.P., Khakhinov V.V., Gabdullin F.F., Korsun A.G., Tverdokhlebova E.M., Laletina E.A., Manzhelei A.I., Research into characteristics of plasma surroundings of low-orbit spacecraft by radio sounding methods. Kosmonavtika i raketostroenie [Cosmonautics and Rocket Engineering]. 2008, no. 1 (50), pp. 51–60. (In Russian).
13. URL: http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/ftpmenu/lists/ace.html (accessed March 12, 2016).
14. URL: http://ipg.geospace.ru/ (accessed March 12, 2016).
15. URL: http://wdc.kugi.kyoto-u.ac.jp/ae_provisional/index. html (accessed March 12, 2016).
16. URL: http://ipg.geospace.ru/weekly-geomagnetic-forecast. html (accessed March 12, 2016).