Images of Progress cargo spacecraft (PCS) and areas around them were captured by the AZT-33IK optical telescope (Sayan Observatory of ISTP SB RAS) during sessions of the active Radar–Progress space experiment. We took images of exhaust and fuel jets when propulsion systems worked and after they were cut off, during fuel system purging. In different sessions of the experiment, PCS had different orientations relative to the telescope, thus enabling us to find some parameters of the observed phenomena. These parameters allow us to determine instants of engine ignitions, to estimate velocities of the jets, and, if necessary, to control geometry of the space experiment. The paper reports common features of optical signals from jets measured in these experiments.
Active space experiment, Optical signal, Spacecraft, Low Earth orbit, Telescopic observations
1. Aleshin V.P., Balega Yu.Yu., Maksimov A.F., Komarinsky S.L., Novgorodtsev D.D. Speckle interferometry of the GEOs: reality and perspectives // Vestnik Sibirskogo gosudarstvennogo aerokosmicheskogo universiteta imeni akademika M.F. Reshetneva [Bulletin of M.F. Reshetnev Siberian State Aerospace University]. 2011, iss. 6 (39), pp. 154–158. (In Russian).
2. Galkin A.A., Grishin E.A., Inshin P.P., Shargorodskii V.D. Spacecraft images obtained with a telescope at the Altai Optical Laser Center using adaptive optics. Cosmic Research. 2008, vol. 46, iss. 3, pp. 197–201.
3. Khakhinov V.V., Potekhin A.P., Lebedev V.P., Alsatkin S.S., Ratovskiy K.G., Kushnarev D.S., Tverdokhlebova E.M., Kurshakov M.Yu., Manzeley A.I., Timofeeva N.I. Results of the remote sensing of the ionospheric disturbances in active space experiments “Radar–Progress”. Sovremennye problemy distatsionnogo zondirovaniya Zemli iz kosmosa [Modern Problems of the Earth Remote Sensing From the Space]. 2012, vol. 9, iss. 3, pp. 199–206. (In Russian).
4. Khakhinov V.V., Potekhin A.P., Lebedev V.P., Kushnarev D.S., Alsatkin S.S. Some results of the active space experiments “Plasma–Progress” and “Radar–Progress” // Vestnik Sibirskogo gosudarstvennogo aerokosmicheskogo universiteta imeni akademika M.F. Reshetneva [Bulletin of M.F. Reshetnev Siberian State Aerospace University]. 2013, special iss. 5 (51), pp. 160–163. (In Russian).
5. Klunko E., Eselevich M., Tergoev V. Progress cargo spacecraft observed with the AZT-33IK optical telescope Solnechno-zemnaya fizika [Solar-Terrestrial Physics]. 2016, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 56–62. (In Russian).
6. Korobtsev I., Tergoev V., Karavaev Yu., Klunko E., Goryashin V., Mishina M., Tsukker Т., Eselevich M., Papushev P. Observations of near-Earth space objects at the Sayan Observatory. Opportunities and perspectives. Proceeding of 9-th US/Russian Space Surveillance Workshop. Irkutsk, 2012, S5.6.
7. Kung R.T.V., Cianciolo L., Myer J.A., Solar scattering from condensation in Apollo translunar injection plume. AIAA J. 1975, vol. 13, pp. 432–437.
8. Lebedev V.P., Khakhinov V.V., Gabdullin F.F., Korsun A.G., Tverdokhlebova E.M., Laletina E.A., Mazheley A.I. Study of the plasma environment characteristics around spacecrafts in low orbits using radio sounding methods. Kosmonavtika i raketostroenie [Cosmonautics and Rocket Engineering]. 2008, iss. 1 (50), pp. 51–60. (In Russian).
9. Platov Y.V., Kosch M.J. Sublimation of ice particles from rocket exhausts in the upper atmosphere. J. Geophys. Res. 2003. vol. 108, no. A12, pp. 1434–1439.
10. Platov Yu.V., Kulikova G.N., Chernouss S.A. Classification of gas-dust structures in the upper atmosphere associated with the exhausts of rocket-engine combustion products. Cosmic Research. 2003, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 153–158.
11. Platov Yu.V., Semenov A.I., Filippov B.P. Condensation of combustion products in the exhaust plumes of rocket engines in the upper atmosphere. Geomagnetism and Aeronomy. 2011, vol. 51, no. 4, pp. 550–556.
12. Potekhin A.P., Khakhinov V.V., Medvedev A.V., Kushnarev D.S., Lebedev V.P., Shpynev B.G. Active space experiments with the use of the transport spacecraft “Progress” and Irkutsk IS Radar. PIERS Proceedings. Moscow, 2009, pp. 223–227.
13. Wu B.J.C. Possible water vapor condensation in rocket exhaust plumes. AIAA J. 1975, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 797–802.