In the paper, we present the result of an experimental study of north-south asymmetry of ultralow-frequency electromagnetic oscillations IPCL. This study is based on observations made at Mirny Observatory (Antarctica). IPCLs are excited in the dayside sector of the auroral oval in the range 3–10 min periods and represent one of the most powerful types of oscillations of Earth's magnetosphere. These oscillations were discovered in the 1970s during IPhE AS USSR polar expeditions organized by Prof. V.A. Troitskaya. We have shown that IPCL activity in Mirny depends on the inclination (north-south asymmetry) of interplanetary magnetic field (IMF) lines to the plane of the geomagnetic equator before the front of the magnetosphere. The result suggests a controlling exposure of IMF on the magnetospheric oscillations and gives rise to the hypothesis that IPCL are forced oscillations of a nonlinear dynamical system whose major structural elements are dayside polar cusps. The paper is dedicated to the memory of Professor V.A. Troitskaya (1917–2010).
magnetosphere, solar wind, geomagnetic pulsations, interplanetary magnetic field, Antarctica
1. Ashby W.R. Vvedenie v kibernetiku [Introduction into Cybernetics]. Moscow, IL Publ., 1959, 432 p. (In Russian). English edition: An Introduction to Cybernetics. London, Chapman and Hall LTD, 1957, 303 p.
2. Bolshakova O.V., Troitskaia V.A., Hessler V.P. On the connection of the position of the polarward boundary of the polar cusp with the intensity of IPCL. Proc. International Symposium on Solar-Terrestrial Physics. Sao Paulo, Brazil, June 17–22, 1974, vol. 2, A75-22580 08-92, pp. 180–184.
3. Buchachenko A.L. Magnetoplasticity and physics of earthquakes. Can we prevent a catastrophe? Uspekhi phizicheskikh nauk [Physics-Uspekhi]. 2014, vol. 184, no. 1, pp. 101–108. (In Russian).
4. Davison M. Mnogomernoe shkalirovanie: metody naglyad- nogo predstavleniya dannykh [Multidimensional Scaling: Methods of Visual Representation of Data]. Moscow, Finansy i Statistika Publ., 1988, 254 p. (In Russian).
5. Gudzenko L.I. Statistical method for determining characteristics of non-adjustable self-oscillatory system. Izvestiya vuzov. Radiofizika [Radiophysics and Quantum Electronics]. 1962, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 572–586. (In Russian).
6. Guglielmi A.V. MGD-volny v okolozemnoi plazme [MHD Waves in the Near-Earth Plasma]. Moscow, Nauka Publ., 1979, 139 p. (In Russian).
7. Guglielmi A.V. Ray theory of MHD wave propagation (Overview). Geomagnetizm i aeronomiya [Geomagnetism and Aeronomy]. 1985, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 356–370. (In Russian).
8. Guglielmi A.V. Hydromagnetic diagnostics and geoelectric survey. Uspekhi phizicheskikh nauk [Physics-Uspekhi]. 1989, vol. 158, iss. 4, pp. 605–637. (In Russian).
9. Guglielmi A.V. Ultra-low-frequency electromagnetic waves in the Earth’s crust and magnetosphere. Uspekhi phizicheskikh nauk [Physics-Uspekhi]. 2007, vol. 50, no. 12, pp. 1197–1216. (In Russian).
10. Guglielmi A.V., Pokhotelov O.A. Geoelectromagnetic Waves. Bristol and Philadelphia: IOP Publ. Ltd, 1996. 402 p.
11. Guglielmi A.V., Potapov A.S. Effect of interplanetary magnetic field on ULF oscillations of ionospheric resonator. Kosmicheskie issledovaniya [Cosmic Research]. 2017, vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 263–267. (In Russian).
12. Guglielmi A.V., Troitskaya V.A. Geomagnitnye pulsatsii i diagnostika magnitosfery [Geomagnetic Pulsations and Diagnostics of the Magnetosphere]. Moscow, Nauka Publ., 1973, 208 p. (In Russian).
13. Guglielmi A.V., Troitskaya V.A. MHD waves in the near-Earth space. Fizika Zemli [Izvestiya, Physics of the Solid Earth]. 1978, no. 10, pp. 95–104. (In Russian).
14. Guglielmi A.V., Potapov A.S., Dovbnya B.V. Key role of interplanetary magnetic field in forming oscillation regime of the Earth’s magnetosphere. Triggernye effekty v geosistemakh: materialy III Vserossiiskogo seminara-soveshchaniya [Trigger Effects in Geosystems: Proc. Third National Seminar-Workshop]. Moscow, June 16–19, 2015. Moscow, GEOS Publ., 2015, pp. 328–334. (In Russian).
15. Guglielmi A.V., Potapov A.S., Dovbnya B.V., Klain B.I., Zotov O.D., Sterlikova I.V., Ruban V.F., Lavrov I.P. Trigger effects in the magnetosphere: on the 100th anniversary of V.A. Troitskaya. IV Vserossiiskaya konferentsiya “Triggernye effekty v geosistemakh”: tezisy dokladoy [IV National Conference “Trigger Effects in Geo-systems”: Abstracts]. Moscow, June 6–9, 2017. Moscow, GEOS Publ., 2017, pp. 28–29. (In Russian).
16. Jacobs J.A. Geomagnetic Micropulsations. New York, Heidelberg, Berlin, Springer-Verlag, 1970, 179 p.
17. Kalisher A.L. Amplitude distribution function of AA-type geomagnetic pulsations. Geomagnetizm i aeronomiya [Geomagnetism and aeronomy]. 1975, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 952–953. (In Russian).
18. Klain B.I., Kurazhkovskaya N.A., Kurazhkovsky A.Yu. Intermittency in wave processes. Fizika Zemli [Izvestiya, Physics of the Solid Earth]. 2008, no. 10, pp. 25–34. (In Russian).
19. Lundin R., Guglielmi A. Ponderomotive forces in cosmos. Space Sci. Rev. 2006, vol. 127, pp. 1–116.
20. Nishida A. Geomagnetic diagnosis of the magnetosphere. New York, Heidelberg, Berlin, Springer-Verlag, 1978, 256 p.
21. Parker E. Dinamicheskie protsessy v mezhplanetnoi srede [Dynamic Processes in Interplanetary Medium]. Moscow, Mir Publ., 1965, 302 p. (In Russian). English edition: Interplanetary Dynamical Processes. Interscience Publishers, 1963, 272 p.
22. Russell C.T., Hoppe M.M. Upstream waves and particles. Space Sci. Rev. 1983, vol. 34, pp. 115–172.
23. Troitskaya V.A. Pulsations of the Earth`s electromagnetic field with periods of 1–15 sec and their connection with phenomena in the high atmosphere. J. Geophys. Res. 1961, vol. 66, no. 1, pp. 5–18.
24. Troitskaya V.A. Classification of rapid pulsations of the magnetic field and Earth currents. Geomagnetizm i aeronomiya [Geomagnetism and Aeronomy]. 1964, vol. 4, pp. 490–495. (In Russian).
25. Troitskaya V.A. ULF wave investigations in the dayside cusp. Adv. Space Res. 1985, vol. 5, no 4, pp. 219–228.
26. Troitskaya V.A., Bolshakova O.V. Diurnal latitude variation of the location of the dayside cusp. Planet. Space Sci. 1977, vol. 25, pp. 1167–1169.
27. Troitskaya V.A., Bolshakova O.V. Diagnostics of the magnetosphere using multipoint measurements of ULF waves. Adv. Space Res. 1988, vol. 8, pp. 413–425.
28. Troitskaya V.A., Guglielmi A.V. Geomagnetic micropulsations and diagnostics of the magnetosphere. Space Sci. Rev. 1967, vol. 7, no. 5/6, pp. 689–769.
29. Troitskaya V.A., Guglielmi A.V. Geomagnetic pulsations and diagnostics of the magnetosphere. Uspekhi fizicheskikh nauk [Soviet Physics. Uspekhi]. 1969, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 195–218. (In Russian).
30. Yamauchi M., Nilsson H., Eliasson L., Norberg O., Boehm M., Clemmons J.H., Lepping R.P., Blomberg L., Ohtani S.-I., Yamamoto T., Mukai T., Terasawa T., Kokubun S. Dynamic response of the cusp morphology to the solar wind: a case study during passage of the solar wind plasma cloud on February 21, 1994. J. Geophys. Res. 1996, vol. 101, pp. 24675–24687.
31. URL: http://omniweb.gsfc.nasa.gov/ow.html (accessed November 10, 2017).
32. URL: http://www.wdcb.ru/stp/index.ru.html (accessed November 10, 2017).