To study dynamics of the upper atmosphere, we consider results of the night sky photometry, using a color CCD camera and taking into account the night airglow and features of its spectral composition. We use night airglow observations for 2010–2015, which have been obtained at the ISTP SB RAS Geophysical Observatory (52° N, 103° E) by the camera with KODAK KAI-11002 CCD sensor. We estimate average brightness of the night sky in R, G, B channels of the color camera for eastern Siberia with typical values ranging from ~0.008 to 0.01 erg·cm–2·s–1. Besides, we determine seasonal variations in the night sky luminosities in R, G, B channels of the color camera. In these channels, luminosities decrease in spring, increase in autumn, and have a pronounced summer maximum, which can be explained by scattered light and is associated with the location of the Geophysical Observatory. We consider geophysical phenomena with their optical effects in R, G, B channels of the color camera. For some geophysical phenomena (geomagnetic storms, sudden stratospheric warmings), we demonstrate the possibility of quantitative relationship between enhanced signals in R and G channels and increases in intensities of discrete 557.7 and 630 nm emissions, which are predominant in the airglow spectrum.
1. Ammosov P.P., Gavril’eva G.A. A digital camera for recording the spatial structure of night airglow. Instruments and Experimental Techniques. 1999, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 398–401.
2. Ammosov P.P., Gavril’eva G.A., Koltovsky I.I. Observation of short-period waves by the infrared all-sky camera in infrared OH emission over Yakutsk. Geomagnetizm i Aeronomiya [Geomagnetism and Aeronomy]. 2006, vol. 46, no. 6, pp. 801–805 (in Russian).
3. Budnik A.P., Lunev V.P. Svechenie nochnogo neba [Night airglow] Preprint. Obninsk. FEI – 3139. 2008, 61 p.
4. Fishkova L.M. Nochnoe izluchenie sredneshirotnoy verkhney atmosfery Zemli [The Night Airglow of Earth’s Mid-Latitude Upper Atmosphere]. Tbilisi: METSNIEREBA, 1983, 271 p. (in Russian).
5. Kharitonov A.V., Tereshchenko V.M., Knyazeva L.N. Svodnyi Spektrofotometricheskiy Katalog Zvezd [Compiled Spectrophotometric Catalog of Stars]. Alma-Ata: Nauka KazSSR, 1978. 198 p.
6. Leinert Ch., Bowyer S., Haikala L.K., Hanner M.S., Hauser M.G., Levasseur-Regourd A.-Ch., Mann I., Mattila K., Reach W.T., Schlosser W., Staude H.J., Toller G.N., Weiland J.L. The 1997 reference of diffuse night sky brightness. Astron. Astrophys. Suppl. Ser. 1998, vol. 127, pp. 1–99.
7. Mikhalev A.V, Beletsky A.B, Kostyleva N.V., Chernigovskaya M.A. Mid-latitude auroras in the south of Eastern Siberia during strong geomagnetic storms on October 29–31, 2003 and November 20–21, 2003. Kosmicheskie issledovaniya [Cosmic Research]. 2004, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 616–621 (in Russian).
8. Mikhalev А.V. Variability of the 557.7 nm atmospheric emission. Geomagnetism and Aeronomy. 2011, vol. 51, no. 7, pp. 968–973.
9. Mikhalev A.V. Variability of the 557.7 nm atmospheric emission. Solnechno-Zemnaya Fizika [Solar-Terrestrial Physics]. 2011, vol. 17, pp. 184–188 (in Russian).
10. Mikhalev A.V., Medvedeva I.V., Beletsky A.B., Kazimirovsky E.S. An Investigation of the Upper Atmospheric Optical Radiation in the Line of Atomic Oxygen 557.7 nm in East Siberia. J. Atmospheric and Solar-Terrestrial Physics. 2001, vol. 63, no. 9, pp. 865–868.
11. Mikhalev A.V., Ratovskiy K.G., Medvedev A.V., Chernigovskaya M.A., Medvedeva I.V. Simultaneous observations of 557.7 nm atmospheric emission intensification and formation of sporadic layers during temperature disturbances in the strato-mesosphere. Optika Atmosfery i Okeana [Atmospheric and Oceanic Optics]. 2007, vol. 20. no 12, pp. 1071–1076 (in Russian).
12. Mikhalev A.V., Podlesnyy S.V., Stoeva P. V. Optical Parameters of Night Sky over Eastern Siberia after the Chelyabinsk Meteor Event. I. Night Sky Brightness. Atmospheric and Oceanic Optics. 2015. vol. 28, no. 2, p. 180. DOI: 10.1134/s1024856015020086
13. Podlesnyi S.V., Mikhalev A.V. Spectrophotometry of mid-latitude auroras observed in the Eastern Siberia region during February 27, 2014 and March 17, 2015 magnetic storms. Mezhdunarodnaya Baikal’skaya Molodezhnaya Nauch-naya Shkola po Fundamental’noi Fizike. Trudy XIV Konferentsii Molodykh Uchenykh «Vzaimodeistvie Polei i Izlucheniya s Veshchestvom» [Proc. XIV Young Scientists’ Conference “Interaction of Fields and Radiation with Matter”]. Irkutsk, 2015. pp. 175–177 (in Russian).
14. Shefov N.N. Atlas Spektra Izlucheniya Nochnogo Neba λλ 3000–12400 Å [Atlas of the night airglow spectrum λλ 3000–12400 Å] A.M. Obukhov Institute of Atmospheric Physics RAS. Moscow, 1962. 31 p.
15. Shefov N.N., Semenov A.I., Khomich V.Yu. Izluchenie Verkhnei Atmosfery — Indikator Ee Struktury i Dinamiki [Airglow as an indicator of the upper atmospheric structure and dynamics]. Moscow: GEOS, 2006. 741 p.
16. Tashchilin M.A.,BeletskyA.B., Mikhalev A.V., Xu Jiyao, Yuan Wei. Some results of observation of spatial inhomogeneities in hydroxyl emission. Solnechno-zemnaya fizika [Solar-Terrestrial Physics]. 2010, iss.15, pp. 131–134.
17. Vázquez M., Vaquero J.M., Gallego M.C., Roca Cortés T., Pallé P.L. Long-term trends and Gleissberg cycles in aurora borealis records (1600–2015). Solar Phys. 2016, vol. 291, iss. 2, pp. 613–642. DOI: 10.1007/s11207-016-0849-6.
18. Zuev V.E., Belan B.D., Zadde G.O. Opticheskaya Pogoda [Optical Weather]. Novosibirsk: Nauka, Siberian Branch, 1990. 192 p.
19. URL: http://videoscan.ru/ (accessed April 19, 2016).