We have developed a numerical model that yields a steady-state distribution of field components of MHD wave in an inhomogeneous plasma box simulating the realistic magnetosphere. The problem of adequate boundary condition at the ionosphere–magnetosphere interface for coupled MHD mode is considered. To justify the model’s assumptions, we have derived the explicit inequality showing when the ionospheric inductive Hall effect can be neglected upon the consideration of Alfven wave reflection from the ionospheric boundaries. The model predicts a feature of the ULF spatial amplitude/phase distribution that has not been noticed by the field line resonance theory: the existence of a region with opposite phase delays on the source side of the resonance. This theoretical prediction is supported by the amplitude-phase latitudinal structures of Pc5 waves observed by STARE radar and IMAGE magnetometers. A gradual decrease in azimuthal wave number m at smaller L-shells was observed at longitudinally separated radar beams.
MHD waves, Geomagnetic pulsations, Mode conversion, Ionospheric radar, Magnetometer
1. Agapitov A.V., Cheremnykh O.K., Parnowski A.S. Ballooning perturbations in the inner magnetosphere of the Earth: spectrum, stability and eigenmode analysis. Adv. Space Res. 2007, vol. 41, pp. 1682–1687.
2. Allan W., Poulter E.M. The spatial structure of different ULF pulsation types: A review of STARE radar results. Rev. Geophys. 1984, vol. 22, pp. 85–97.
3. Allan W. White S.P., Poulter E.M. Impulse excited hydromagnetic cavity and field line resonances in the magnetosphere. Planet. Space Sci. 1986, vol. 34, pp. 371.
4. Alperovich L.S., Fedorov E.N. Hydromagnetic waves in the magnetosphere and the ionosphere. Ser. Astrophysics and Space Science Library. 2009, vol. 353, XXIV, 418 p.
5. Baransky L.N., Green A.W., Fedorov E.N., et al. Gradient and polarization methods of ground-based monitoring of magnetospheric plasma. J. Geomag. Geoelectr. 1995, vol. 47, pp. 1293–1309.
6. Chen L., Cowley S.C. On field line resonance of hydromagnetic Alfven waves in dipole magnetic field. Geophys. Res. Lett. 1989, vol. 16, pp. 895–897.
7. Coult N., Pilipenko V., Engebretson M. Suppression of resonant field line oscillations by a turbulent background. Planetary Space Sci. 2007, vol. 55, pp. 694–700.
8. Fedorov E.N., Belenkaya B.N., Gokhberg M.B., et al. Magnetospheric plasma density diagnosis from gradient measurements of geomagnetic pulsations. Planet. Space Sci. 1990, vol. 38, pp. 269–272.
9. Fedorov E.N., Mazur N.G., Pilipenko V.A., Yumoto K. On the theory of field line resonances in plasma configurations. Physics of Plasmas. 1995, vol. 2, pp. 527–532.
10. Fedorov E., Mazur N., Pilipenko V., Yumoto K. MHD wave conversion in plasma waveguides. J. Geophys. Res. 1998, vol. 103, pp. 26595–26605.
11. Green C. Meridional characteristics of Pc4 micropulsations event in the plasmasphere. Planet. Space Sci. 1978, vol. 26, pp. 955.
12. Hameiri E., Kivelson M.G. Magnetospheric waves and the atmosphere-ionosphere layer. J. Geophys. Res. 1991, vol. 96, pp. 21125–21134.
13. Kawano H., Yumoto K., Pilipenko V.A., et al. Restoration of continuous field line eigenfrequency distribution from ground-based ULF observations. J. Geophys. Res. 2002, vol. 107, SMP 25 1–12.
14. Kivelson M.G., Southwood D.J. Coupling of global magnetospheric MHD eigenmodes to field line resonances. J. Geo-phys. Res. 1986, vol. 91, pp. 4345–4351.
15. Kleimenova N.G., Kozyreva O.V., Vlasov A.A., et al. Afternoon Pc5 geomagnetic pulsations on the Earth’s surface and in the ionosphere (STARE radars). Geomagnetism and Aeronomy. 2010, vol. 50, pp. 329–338.
16. Klimushkin D.Yu., Mager P.N., Glassmeier K.-H. Toroidal and poloidal Alfven waves with arbitrary azimuthal wave numbers in a field pressure plasma in the Earth’s magnetosphere. Ann. Geophys. 2004, vol. 22, pp. 267–288.
17. Krylov A.L., Lifshitz A.E., Fedorov E.N. About resonant properties of the magnetosphere. Izv. AN SSSR, Fizika Zemli, [Izvestiya. Physics of the Solid Earth]. 1981, vol. N6, pp. 49–59.
18. Kurchashov Yu.P., Nikomarov Ya.S., Pilipenko V.A., Best A. Field-line resonance effects in a local meridional structure of mid-latitude geomagnetic pulsations. Annales Geophysicae. 1987, vol. 5A, pp. 147–154.
19. Lee D.-H., Lysak R.L. Magnetospheric ULF wave coupling in the dipole model: the impulsive excitation. J. Geophys. Res. 1989, vol. 94, pp. 17097–17104.
20. Leonovich A.S., Mazur V.A. Standing Alfven waves with m>>1 in axisymmetric magnetosphere excited by a non-stationary source. Annales Geophysicae. 1998, vol. 16, pp. 914–920.
21. Leonovich A.S., Mazur V.A. Structure of magnetosonic eigenoscillations of an axisymmetric magnetosphere. J. Geophys. Res. 2000, vol. 105, pp. 27707–27716.
22. Leonovich A.S., Kozlov D.A., Pilipenko V.A. Magnetosonic resonance in a dipole-like magnetosphere. Annales Geophysicae. 2006, vol. 24, pp. 2277–2289.
23. Pilipenko V., Vellante M., Fedorov E. Distortion of the ULF wave spatial structure upon transmission through the ionosphere. J. Geophys. Res. 2000, vol. 105, pp. 21225–21236.
24. Pilipenko V., Belakhovsky V., Kozlovsky A., et al. Determination of the wave mode contribution into the ULF pulsations from combined radar and magnetometer data: Method of apparent impedance. J. Atm. Solar-Terr. Phys. 2012, vol. 77, pp. 85–95.
25. Ruohoniemi J.M., Greenwald R.A., Baker K.B., Samson J.C. HF radar observations of Pc 5 field line resonances in the midnight/early morning MLT sector. J. Geophys. Res. 1991, vol. 96, pp. 1569715710, DOI: 10.1029/91JA00795.
26. Sciffer M.D., Waters C.L. Propagation of ULF waves through the ionosphere: Analytic solutions for oblique magnetic field. J. Geophys. Res. 2002, vol. 107, 1297. DOI: 10.1029/ 2001JA000184.
27. Sciff M.D., Waters, C.L., Menk, F.W. Propagation of ULF waves through the ionosphere: Inductive effect for oblique magnetic field. Annales Geophysicae. 2004, vol. 22, pp. 1155–1169.
28. Southwood D.J. Some features of field line resonances in the magnetosphere. Planet. Space Sci. 1974, vol. 22, pp. 483–491.
29. Streltsov A., Lotko W. The fine structure of dispersive, nonradiative field line resonance layers. J. Geophys. Res. 1996, vol. 101, pp. 5343–5358.
30. Tamao T. Transmission and coupling resonance of hydromagnetic disturbances in the non-uniform Earth’s magnetosphere. Science Rep. of the Tohoku Univ. Ser. 5. Geophysics. 1965, pp. 43–72.
31. Uspensky M.V., Janhunen P., Koustov A.V., Kauristie K. Volume cross section of auroral radar backscatter and RMS plasma fluctations inferred from coherent and incoherent scatter data: a response on backscatter volume parameters, Ann. Geophys., 2011, vol. 29, pp. 1081–1092.
32. Walker A.D.M., Greenwald R.A., Stuart W.F., Green, C.A. STARE auroral radar observations of Pc5 geomagnetic pulsations. J. Geophys. Res. 1979, vol. 84, pp. 3373–3388.
33. Walker A.D.M., Greenwald R.A., Korth A., Kremser G. STARE and GOES 2 observations of a storm time Pc5 ULF pulsation. J. Geophys. Res. 1982, vol. 87, pp. 9135–9146.
34. Waters C.L., Menk F.W., Fraser B.J. The resonant structure of low latitude Pc3 geomagnetic pulsations. Geophys. Res. Lett. 1991, vol. 18, pp. 2293.
35. Waters C.L., Harrold B.G., Menk F.W., et al. Field line resonances and waveguide modes at low latitudes 2. A model. J. Geophys. Res. 2000, vol. 105, pp. 7763–7774.
36. Waters C.L., Sciffer M.D. Field line resonant frequencies and ionospheric conductance: Results from a 2-D MHD model. J. Geophys. Res. 2008, vol. 113, p. A05219. DOI: 10.1029/ 2007JA012822.
37. Yagova N., Pilipenko V., Fedorov E., et al. Influence of ionospheric conductivity on mid-latitude Pc3-4 pulsations. Earth, Planets and Space. 1999, vol. 51, pp. 129–138.
38. Yeoman T.K., Wright D.M., Robinson T.R., et al. High spatial and temporal resolution observations of an impulse-driven field line resonance in radar backscatter artificially generated with the Tromsø heater. Ann. Geophysicae. 1997, vol. 15, pp. 634–644.
39. Yeoman T.K., Wright D.M., Chapman P.J., Stockton-Chalk A.B. High-latitude observations of ULF waves with large azimuthal wavenumbers. J. Geophys. Res. 2000, vol. 105, pp. 5453–5462.
40. Yoshikawa A., Itonaga M. Reflection of shear Alfven waves at the ionosphere and the divergent Hall current. Geophys. Res. Lett. 1996, vol. 23, pp. 101–104.
41. Yumoto K., Pilipenko V., Fedorov E., et al. The mechanisms of damping of geomagnetic pulsations. J. Geomag. Geoelectr. 1995, vol. 47, pp. 163–176.
42. Ziesolleck C.W.S., McDiarmid D.R. Auroral latitude Pc5 field line resonances: quantized frequencies, spatial characteristics, and diurnal variation. J. Geophys. Res. 1994, vol. 99, pp. 5817–5830.
43. Ziesolleck C.W.S., Fenrich F.R., Samson J.C., McDiarmid D.R. Pc5 field line resonance frequencies and structure observed by SuperDARN and CANOPUS. J. Geophys. Res. 1998, vol. 103, pp. 11771–11785.