A method for forecasting geomagnetic storms using the realization of the global survey method in real time is presented. The method is based on data from the worldwide network of neutron monitors NMDB. Using this method, we analyze the behavior of components of three-dimensional angular distribution of cosmic rays in the interplanetary medium, which were due to the first two spherical harmonics, over the period from 2013 to 2018. We have established that the main parameters that respond to the arrival of geoeffective disturbances of the interplanetary medium at Earth are changes in amplitudes of zonal (north-south) components of cosmic ray distribution. In order to select effective criteria for identifying predictors of geomagnetic disturbances and their possible temporal variations, we have made a retrospective analysis of the relationship between behaviors of the above components and geomagnetic disturbances occurring during the period of interest.
cosmic rays, neutron monitor, global survey, geomagnetic storms, zonal components, predictors
1. Belov A.V., Bieber J.W., Eroshenko E.A., Evenson P. Pitch-angle features in cosmic rays in advance of severe magnetic storms: neutron monitor observations. Proc. 27th International Cosmic Ray Conference. Hamburg, 2001, vol. 9, pp. 3507–3510.
2. Dorman L.I., Belov A.V., Eroshenko E.A., Pustil’nik L.A., Sternlieb A., Yanke V.G., Zukerman I.G. Possible cosmic ray using for forecasting of major geomagnetic storms, accompanied by Forbush effects. Proc. 28th International Cosmic Ray Conference. Tsukuba, 2003, vol. 6, pp. 3553–3556.
3. Dvornikov V.M., Sergeev A.V., Sdobnov V.E. Abnormal variations of cosmic rays in the rigidity range 2–5 GV and their relationship with heliospheric disturbances. Izvestiya Akademii nauk SSSR. Seriya fizicheskaya [Bulletin of the Academy of Sciences of USSR: Physics]. 1988, vol. 52, no. 12, pp. 2435–2437. (In Russian).
4. Dvornikov V.M., Sdobnov V.E., Sergeev A.V. Method for prediction of sporadic geoeffective perturbations of solar wind. Patent RF no. 1769602, 1995.
5. Dvornikov V.M., Sdobnov V.E. On a possibility of prediction the level of geomagnetic disturbance from effects in cosmic rays. Proc. 24th International Cosmic Ray Conference. Rome, 1995, vol. 4, pp. 1098–1101.
6. Grigoryev V.G., Starodubtsev S.A. Global survey method in real time and space weather forecasting. Bull. of RAS: Phys. 2015, vol. 79, no. 5, pp. 649–653. DOI: 10.3103/S1062873815050226.
7. Grigoryev V.G., Starodubtsev S.A., Gololobov P.Yu. Dynamics of zonal components of cosmic ray distribution during geomagnetic storm periods. Proc. of Science. PoS(ICRC2015)076. 2016.
8. Grigoryev V.G., Starodubtsev S.A., Gololobov P.Yu. Monitoring geomagnetic disturbance predictors using data of ground measurements of cosmic. Bull. of RAS: Phys. 2017, vol. 81, no. 2, pp. 200–202. DOI: 10.3103/S1062873817020198.
9. Grigoryev V.G., Starodubtsev S.A., Krivoshapkin P.A., Prikhodko A.N. Cosmic ray anisotropy based on Yakutsk station in real time. Adv. Space Res. 2008, vol. 41, pp. 943–946. DOI: 10.1016/ j.asr.2007.04.072.
10. Munakata K., Bieber J.W., Yasue S., Kato C., Koyama M., Akahane S., Fujimoto K., Fujii Z., Humble J.E., Duldig M.L. Precusors of geomagnetic storms observed by the muon detector network. J. Geophys. Res. 2000, vol. 105, i. A12, pp. 27457–27468. DOI: 10.1029/2000JA000064.
11. Munakata K., Kuwabara T., Yasue S., Kato C., Akahane S., Koyama M. A ‘‘loss cone’’ precursor of an approaching shock observed by a cosmic ray muon hodoscope on October 28, 2003. Geophys. Res. Lett. 2005, vol. 32, L03S04. DOI: 1029/2004GL021469.
12. Krymsky G.F., Kuzmin A.I., Krivoshapkin P.A., Samsonov I.S., Skripin G.V., Transky I.A., Chirkov N.P. Kosmicheskie luchi i solnechnyi veter [Cosmic Rays and Solar Wind]. Novosibirsk, Nauka Publ., 1981, 224 p. (In Russian).
13. Plotnikov I.Ya., Shadrina L.P., Starodubtsev S.A., Krimsky G.F. Coronal mass ejection, geomagnetic storms and ground-based cosmic ray intensity decreases. Proc. 10th International Conference “Problems of Geocosmos”. St. Petersburg, Russia, October 6–10, 2014, rr. 351–354.
14. Shadrina L.P., Barkova E.S., Plotnikov I.Ya., Starodubtsev S.A. Large-scale solar wind disturbances as a reason of intense geomagnetic storms. Proc. 9th International Conference “Problems of Geocosmos”. St. Petersburg, Russia, October 8–12, 2012a, rr. 381–386.
15. Shadrina L.P., Plotnikov I.Ya., Starodubtsev S.A. Forbush decreases in the absence of geomagnetic storms // Proc. 9th International Conference “Problems of Geocosmos”. St. Petersburg, Russia, October 8–12, 2012b, rr. 387–391.
16. Shadrina L.P., Krimsky G.F., Plotnikov I.Ya., Starodubtsev S.A. Interplanetary shock geoeffectiveness during a growth phase of solar activity. Proc. 10th International Conference “Problems of Geocosmos”. St. Petersburg, Russia, October 6–10, 2014, rr. 388–391.
17. URL: http://www.ysn.ru/~starodub/SpaceWeather/global_ survey_real_time.html (accessed February 1, 2019).
18. URL: http://www.ysn.ru/~starodub/SpaceWeather/currents_ real_time.html (accessed February 1, 2019).
19. URL: http://neutronm.bartol.udel.edu/spaceweather (accessed January 10, 2019).
20. URL: http://cr0.izmiran.rssi.ru/AnisotropyCR/mainhtm (accessed January 10, 2019).
21. URL: http://www.mustang.uni-greifswald.de/spaceweather. htm (accessed January 10, 2019).
22. URL: http://www.nmdb.eu (accessed February 1, 2019).
23. URL: http://ckp-rf.ru/usu/433536 (accessed January 15, 2019).
24. URL: http://cr.izmiran.ru/unu.html (accessed January 22, 2019).