We investigated the relationship between the rate of storm development in its main phase (|ΔDst|/ΔT) and the average value (ΣAE/ΔT) of AE index for the main phase where |ΔDst| is the Dst-index variation, ΣAE is the total value of AE index for the main phase of magnetic storm, ΔT is the main phase duration. We considered storms initiated by corotating interaction region (CIR) and interplanetary coronal mass ejection (ICME) (magnetic cloud and ejecta). For CIR events, the value of ΣAE/ΔT is shown to correlate with the rate of storm development in its main phase in contrast to the storms initiated by the ICME. As found, there is a weak correlation between ΣAE/ΔT and the minimum value of Dst index for CIR and ICME events.
Magnetic storm, AE index, Dst index, Solar wind, Electric field
1. Burton R.K., McPherron R.L., Russell C.T. An empirical relationship between interplanetary conditions and Dst. J. Geophys. Res. 1975, vol. 80, pp. 4204–4214.
2. Cramer W.D., Turner N.E., Fok M.C., Buzulukova N.Y. Effects of different geomagnetic storm drivers on the ring current: CRCM results. J. Geophys. Res. 2013, vol. 118. DOI: 10.1002/jgra.50138.
3. Feldstein Y.I., Levitin A.E., Kozyra J.U., Tsurutani B.T., Prigancova A., Alperovich L., Gonzalez W.D., Mall U., Alexeev I.I., Gromova L.I., Dremukhina L.A. Self-consistent modeling of the large-scale distortions in the geomagnetic field during the 24–27 September 1998 major magnetic storm. J. Geophys. Res. 2005. vol. 110, no. A11. DOI: 10.1029/2004JA010584.
4. Guo J., Feng X., Emery B.A., Zhang J., Xiang C., Shen F., Song W. Energy transfer during intense geomagnetic storms driven by interplanetary coronal mass ejections and their sheath regions. J. Geophys. Res. 2011. vol. 116. DOI: 10.1029/2011 JA016490.
5. Gonzalez W.D., Joselyn J.A., Kamide Y., Kroehl H.W., Rostoker G., Tsurutani B.T., Vasyliunas V.M. What is a geomagnetic storm? J. Geophys. Res. 1994, vol. 99, pp. 5771–5792.
6. Kane R.P. How good is the relationship of solar and interplanetary plasma parameters with geomagnetic storms? J. Geophys. Res. 2005, vol. 110. DOI: 10.1029/2004JA010799.
7. Kane R.P. Scatter in the plots of Dst(min) versus Bz(min). Planetary and Space Sci. 2010, vol. 58, pp. 792–1801.
8. Liemohn M.W., Katus R. Is the storm time response of the inner magnetospheric hot ions universally similar or driver dependent? J. Geophys. Res. 2005, vol. 117. DOI: 10.1029/ 2011JA017389.
9. Nikolaeva N.S., Yermolaev Yu.I., Lodkina I.G. Modeling of Dst-index temporal profile in the main phase of magnetic storms generated by the solar wind of different types. Kosmicheskie issledovaniya [Cosmic Res.]. 2013, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 443–454. (In Russian).
10. Nikolaeva N.S., Yermolaev Yu I., Lodkina I.G. Dependence of geomagnetic activity during magnetic storms on solar wind parameters for different types of streams: 4. Simulation for magnetic clouds. Geomagnetizm i aeronomiya [Geomagnetism and Aeronomy]. 2014, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 163–173. (In Russian).
11. Nikolaeva N.S., Yermolaev Yu.I., Lodkina I.G. Predicted dependence of the cross polar cap potential saturation on the type of solar wind stream. Adv. Space Res. 2015, vol. 56, pp. 1366–1373.
12. Plotnikov I.Ya., Barkova E.S. Advances in space research nonlinear dependence of Dst and AE indices on the electric field of magnetic clouds. Adv. Space Res. 2007, V. 40, pp. 1858–1862.
13. Yermolaev Yu.I., Nikolaeva N.S., Lodkina I.G., Yermolaev M.Yu. Catalog of large-scale solar wind phenomena during 1976–2000. Kosmicheskie issledovaniya [Cosmic Res.]. 2009, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 99–113. (In Russian).
14. Yermolaev Yu.I., Nikolaeva N.S., Lodkina I.G., Yermolaev M.Yu. Specific interplanetary conditions for CIR-, sheath-, and ICME- induced geomagnetic storms obtained by double superposed epoch analysis. Ann. Geophysicae. 2010, vol. 28, pp. 2177–2186.
15. Yermolaev Y.I., Nikolaeva N.S., Lodkina I.G., Yermolaev M.Y. Geoeffectiveness and efficiency of CIR, sheath, and ICME in generation of magnetic storms. J. Geophys. Res. 2012, vol. 117, A00L07. DOI: 10.1029/ 2011JA017139.
16. Yermolaev Yu.I., Nikolaeva N.S., Lodkina I.G., Yermolaev M.Yu. Does the duration of the magnetic storm recovery phase depend on the storm development rate in its main phase? 2. New method. Geomagnetizm i aeronomiya [Geomagnetism and Aeronomy]. 2016, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 296–301. (In Russian).
17. URL: ftp://ftp.iki.rssi.ru/omni/ (accessed May 12, 2016).
18. URL: http://wdc.kugi.kyoto.u.ac.jp/index.html (accessed May 12, 2016).