A chromospheric telescope is an important instrument for synoptic observations and solar research. After several decades of observations with the chromospheric telescope at the Baikal Astrophysical Observatory, a need arose to improve the characteristics of this telescope and filter. A new reimaging lens to produce full-disk solar images 18 mm in diameter at the CCD camera Hamamatsu C-124 with a 36×24 mm detector (4000×2672 pixels) was designed and manufactured to replace the out-of-operation 50×50 mm Princeton Instruments camera. A contrast interference blocking filter and new calcite and quartz crystal plates were made and installed instead of damaged ones in the Hα birefringent filter (BF), manufactured by Bernhard Hallе Nachfl. The optical immersion in the filter was changed. All telescope optics was cleaned and adjusted. We describe for the first time the design features and their related BF passband tuning. The wavefront interferograms of optical elements and telescope as a whole show that the wavefront distortion of the optical path is within 0.25 λ. The BF and prefilter spectral parameters provide high-contrast monochromatic images. Besides, we give examples of solar chromospheric images in the Hα line core and wing.
Solar telescope, birefringent filter, interferometric measurements
1. Aleksandrovich S.V., Domyshev G.N., Korovkin A.I., Sadokhin V.P., Skomorovsky V.I. Narrow-band birefringent filter with two transmission bands. Novaya tekhnika v astronomii [New Facilities in Astronomy]. 1975, no. 5, pp. 34–39. (In Russian).
2. Banin V.G., Klevtsov Yu.A., Skomorovsky V.I., Trifonov V.D. Н-cinematograph of SibIZMIR. Solnechnye dannye [Solar Data]. 1982, no. 1, pp. 90–94. (In Russian).
3. Banin V.G., Klevtsov Yu.A., Skomorovsky V.I., Trifonov V.D. Khromosfernyi teleskop [Chromospheric Telescope]. Patent USSR no. 1018092, 1983a. (In Russian).
4. Banin V.G., Borovik A.V., Yazev S.A., Big solar flares of May 13 and May 16 1981. Issledovaniya po geomagnetizmu, aeronomii i fizike Solntsa [Research on Geomagnetism, Aeronomy and Solar Physics]. 1983b, iss. 65, pp. 151–164. (In Russian).
5. Banin V.G., Borovik A.V., Yazev S.A. Complex of activity and large solar flares. Contributions of the Astronomical Observatory of Scalnation Pleso. 1986, vol. 15, pp. 289–296.
6. Batmunkh D., Golovko A.A., Trifonov V.D., Yazev S.A. Observations of activity complex yielded large solar flares in August 2011 in Irkutsk and Ulanbaatar. Izbrannye problemy astronomii: materialy 3 Vserossiiskoi astronomicheskoi konferentsii “Nebo i Zemlya” [Selected Problems of Astronomy: Proc. 3rd Russian Conference “Sky and Earth”]. Irkutsk, 2011, pp. 75–81. (In Russian).
7. Bhatnagar A., Livingston W. Fundamentals of Solar Astronomy. World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., 2005. 445 p.
8. Borovik A.V., Myachin D.Yu. The spotless flare of March 16, 1986. Preflare activations of fine structure of chromospheres. Solar Phys. 2002, vol. 205, pp. 105–116. DOI: 10. 1023/A:1013859722017.
9. Borovik A.V., Myachin D.Yu. Structure and development of the spotless flare on March 16, 1981. Geomagnetism and Aeronomy. 2010, vol. 50, no. 8, pp. 937–949. DOI: 10.1134/S0016793210080037.
10. Borovik A.V., Myachin D.Yu., Tomozov V.M. Observations of spotless flares at the Baikal Astrophysical Observatory and their interpretation. Izvestiya Irkutskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. [Transactions of the Irkutsk State University]. 2014, vol. 7, pp. 23–45. (In Russian).
11. Evans J.W. The birefringent filter. J. Opt. Soc. Am. 1949, vol. 39, pp. 229–242.
12. Golovko A.A., Golubeva E.M., Grechnev V.V., Myachin D. Yu., Trifonov V.D., Khlystova A.I. Data base of full solar disk H-alpha images from the Baikal Observatory. Solar Variability: From Core to Outer Frontiers. Proc. 10th European Solar Physics Meeting. Prague, Czech Republic, 9–14 September 2002, pp. 929–932.
13. Klevtsov Yu.A. Features of working birefringent filter in telescope optical scheme Issledovaniya po geomagnetizmu, aeronomii i fizike Solntsa [Research on Geomagnetism, Aeronomy and Solar Physics]. 1984, iss. 69, pp. 183–183 (In Russian).
14. Klevtsov Yu.A. Novye opticheskie sistemy teleskopov i metody ikh rascheta. Diss. kand. tekh. nauk [New Optical Systems of Telescopes and Methods of Their Calculation. Cand. Tekh. Sci. Diss.]. Irkutsk, 1987, 233 p. (In Russian).
15. Klevtsov Yu.A., Trifonov V.D. Optical system of a new chromospheric telescope. Issledovaniya po geomagnetizmu, aeronomii i fizike Solntsa [Research on Geomagnetism, Aeronomy and Solar Physics]. 1980, iss. 52, pp. 71–75. (In Russian).
16. Konyaev P.A., Borovik A.V., Zhdanov A.A. Spotless flares structure and development analysis using digital images of solar chromosphere. Optika atmosfery i okeana [Atmospheric and Oceanic Optics]. 2015, vol. 28, no. 9 (320), pp. 844–849. (In Russian).
17. Kushtal´ G.I., Skomorovsky V.I. The two-bandpass tunable birefringent filter (BF) for the HeI 10830 Å and Hα lines. Opticheskiy zhurnal [Journal of Optical Technology]. 2000, vol. 67, iss. 6, pp. 99–106. (In Russian).
18. Kushtal G.I., Skomorovsky V.I. Advancements in the geometrical measurements of the birefringent filter´s crystal plates and two-dimensional measurements of Doppler velocity in the solar atmosphere. Proc. SPIE. 2002, vol. 4900, pp. 504–512.
19. Öhman Y. On some new birefringent filters for solar research. Arkiv för Astronomi. 1958, vol. 2, pp. 165–169.
20. Proshin V.A., Aleksandrovich S.V. Sealing of dielectric filters in vacuum. Issledovaniya po geomagnetizmu, aeronomii i fizike Solntsa [Research on Geomagnetism, Aeronomy and Solar Physics]. 1982, iss.60, pp. 76–80. (In Russian).
21. Severnyy A.B., Gil´varg A.B. The birefringent filter for solar research and experience of its application. Izvestiya KrAO [Transactions of Crimean Astrophysical Observatory]. 1949, vol. 4, pp. 3–22. (In Russian).
22. Skomorovsky V.I. Examination of two birefringent filters. Rezul´taty nablyudeniy i issledovaniy v period MGSS [Results of Observations and Studies During International Year of Quiet Sun]. 1967, iss. 4, pp. 105–109. (In Russian).
23. Skomorovsky V.I., Ioffe S.B. Monochromatic filters for solar observations. Issledovaniya po geomagnetizmu, aeronomii i fizike Solntsa [Research on Geomagnetism, Aeronomy and Solar Physics]. 1980, iss. 52, pp.128–149. (In Russian).
24. Skomorovskiy V.I. Kushtal´ G.I., Lopteva L.S., Proshin V.A., Tsayukova A.G. Commercial narrowband Fabry–Perot solar filters, methods and instruments for their examination. Solnechno-zemnaya fizika [Solar-Terrestrial Physics]. 2015, vol. 1, iss. 3, pp. 72–90. DOI: 10.12737/10537. (In Russian).
25. URL: ftp://ftp.iszf.irk.ru/h_alpha/ (accessed December 8, 2015).
26. URL: http://www.nso.edu/IAU-Com12/resources (accessed December 7, 2015).
27. URL: http:// archives.ru/documents/methodics/obzor_ restore-text-archival-document.shtml (accessed November 23, 2015).
28. URL: http://www.hida.kyoto-u.ac.jp/SMART/ (accessed November 17, 2015).